Resources: Making the Case to Attend
“The speakers were wonderful and inspirational.”
- Leslie Brier, repeat FLC attendee from Main Line Reform Temple Beth Elohim Sisterhood, Wynnewood, PA
We recognize that FLC is expensive to attend and you may need to “make the case” (within your family or sisterhood) to join us in Charleston in March. Here are some tools to assist you in “pitching” your attendance at FLC:
Step 1: Itemize your anticipated expenses
Research and calculate the costs you expect to incur in order to attend FLC. Create a budget you can present, including:
- Registration Cost: Note that the Registration Fee includes all meals from Friday dinner to Sunday breakfast. Check the Grants page to find out if you’re eligible for a grant that covers one Early Bird registration fee.
- Travel/Transportation: Airfare and/or ground transportation to and from Charleston.
- Hotel: Budget for as many nights as you will need to stay (while FLC only lasts two nights, depending on your travel availability and/or program attendance, some may need to arrive a night early in order to arrive in time). A room at the Charleston Marriott in the WRJ block costs $209/night + tax when booked by February 8th. A room can certainly be shared between 2 or more attendees. If you do not have your own roommate and would like one, you can use the FLC Yammer group to connect with someone.
Step 2: Share the benefits of FLC for you and your sisterhood
To most effectively explain why you should attend FLC, clearly articulate the connection between your sisterhood’s needs and the FLC programming and take-aways:
- Focus specifically on what new skills, knowledge, and connections you will bring back from FLC. This is your sisterhood’s “return on investment” from your participation at FLC. In addition to what you learn from FLC workshops and speakers, it will also include a better understanding of WRJ’s resources and access to tools and support via Yammer.
- Offer to make a presentation to your sisterhood upon your return from Charleston.
- Explain how attending FLC benefits you, your sisterhood, and your community.
- Demonstrate how you’re economizing with expenses (carpooling, flight sale, sharing a hotel room, early bird registration, etc.)
“WRJ has helped me become a more confident and more effective leader – thank you!”
- Rachel Lambermont, repeat WRJ attendee from Congregation Beth Tikvah Sisterhood, Worthington, OH
“WRJ has provided means for women to develop as leaders, to make connections, and to develop their spiritual side. I have had the opportunity to do all that and more.”
- Trina Novak, repeat WRJ event attendee from Temple Beth Shalom Sisterhood, Needham, MA